February 28, 2006

My best Friend's Wedding

It’s been some time since I blogged, haven’t posted anything but the press releases.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since….. And among other things, my best friend (More sister than just friend) got married to her boyfriend of….hold your breath….1 month!! But I am very happy for her and satisfied that she finally chose a befitting guy. The marriage was in Chandigarh and I spent the weekend in city beautiful with a one day stopover in Delhi on my way back (which is right now in a delayed ‘as usual’ Air Deccan flight that took off from Delhi at the time was supposed to land in Mumbai)

The marriage was one of the very few I have been closely involved in, in recent times. So many ceremonies awed me at one moment and made me wonder about their significance in the next.
The Mehndi, Sagan, Ring ceremony, Chunni, Chooda, Jai Mala, finally the pheras. And that’s not all, she also came back home next day with her hubby for what was ‘ghar pe phera daalna’ (sorry I don’t know the technical name for the same, if there’s any, and can’t translate it either).

And this is the Gal’s side of ceremonies, I am sure there are a couple of others which are exclusive to the guy’s side. I remember witnessing my Mama being bathed in yoghurt by his sisters when he got married some years back.

It was an experience one can’t forget in a jiffy. I tried to hold back when I was pushing her Doli, but cried buckets when she left. Even though I knew I would be seeing her just as often after her marriage, but it is the moment and the emotions involved which cant be easily explained which makes even the most stoic men break down.


Anyway, all this has happened at the expense of important work that had to be done by me for Euphoria, the NMIMS festival, and a couple of mid-terms that I missed and hope to cover up with a re-test or some humongous assignments which I am sure the faculty will load me with.


When I look back now, this month has been particularly eventful and busy for me, and there was nothing academic about it. It began with a distant cousin’s marriage in Mumbai for which my family had come down, and I was doing sorties between Santa Cruz Airport and Andheri East picking and dropping relatives in a rickety Esteem. Also showed Ma Papa and Bhai around Mumbai. Then my friends from MIB@ D’ School had come over for their scheduled Port Visit in JNPT and Panvel, and then Divya’s Wedding in Chandigarh for which I flew down for the weekend. And now as the date for Euphoria closes in, I don’t know how I am going to cope with the number of projects due for submission and mid-terms lined up.

And by the way, results of the 2nd trim exams also came out some time back, and yours truly has once again managed to bring up the tail of the class. I hope against hope that this trim is better in terms of GPA so that I manage a CGPA which is at least respectable and presentable at the time of placements next Jan.

And thinking of placements, I was talking to Papa today about my plans for the coming year and stuff, and general discussion about the possible locations that one can get while getting placed. Some time back I was open to the idea of working anywhere in India for some 2 years after placements and then move base back to Delhi, but today while I was driving around Gurdwara Bangla Sahib and the secretariat, I so didn’t want to go back to Madhouse called Mumbai. There is something about Delhi which I now miss since I have been away. Even the ills of the city seem so enchanting now. Not that I ever disliked the city, but I had never given its wonders a thought all the 22 years I spent in it.

And now somewhere at the back of my mind, I know, wherever I go in the world, whichever city I have a house in, my Home will always be in Delhi.


P.S. Another thing I wanted to tell you but always forgot. I don’t remember if I posted about my attendance at the Bryan Adams concert this month in Bandra-Kurla. To put it mildly, it was great listening to him live. And now the interesting part, I met my guruji in Mumbai recently, who used to train me in Hindustani classical back in Delhi when I was very young. I found out that he lives very nearby (4 bungalows) and started my training all over again. And very recently he asked me to accompany him to a concert organised by Bhavan’s Cultural Centre at SPJIMR’s auditorium. The name of the concert was ‘Ek Shaam Faiz ke naam’. It was Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s birthday and the concert was about his life and his poetry and ghazals from his repertoire were recited by singer Jaswinder Singh.
And know what, I enjoyed the evening thoroughly. Although there were some Couplets in chaste urdu which went straight over my head, but those which I did understand, were simply too good and left no doubts regarding the genius of the poet.

Note the contrasts?? And tell me how many people do you know who enjoy listening to Bryan Adams as much as they enjoy listening to Faiz’s Shayari??

No comments: