April 4, 2006

Unsatiated - Hazaron Khwahishein

This is not a movie review.
But then may be it is. Its been 2 hours since it ended, and since then i have been reading what bloggers wrote about it. What awards it won.... and everything else.

And then my urge to write a review about it kind of fizzled out coz i saw all that i wanted to write is there all over the web and more. Also the quality of reviews and interpretations is far better than what i can ever write.

But i will still give you my words on it.

it IS a masterpiece. I know whenever i watch a good movie, i am tempted to call it the 'Best movie i have seen in a long time', but this one really is. A couple of my roomies were awake when the movie climaxed and i was yelping. I wanted to say something. I wanted to say something like - this is brilliant work or too good but i was speechless.

Indescribable. (for me, at least)

One has to have thorough knowledge about indian politics and the shaping of it, to really appreciate the subtle (and abundant) nuances of the times it is set in.

This movie is loaded. What i really mean is that it has not a centimetre of footage which is out of place. To be honest i didnt really get a hang of the first half because i wasnt paying much attention anyway and didnt know what to expect. From the posters i had seen an year or couple back, and the start of the pic, i was kinda confused. They simply dont relate. The adverts were all slick and glamorous, but the movie is anything but that.

And once one got a hang of what was happenning, i was riveted. So many stories.... but one tale. Brilliantly told. One reads that Sudhir Mishra, the director, is an M.Phil in Psychology from Delhi University, and it shows. He has given his actors the psycho treatment. Only then can one see real performances from the 3 lead actors - Kay Kay Menon, Shiney (Roshan) Ahuja and Chitrangadha Singh (who, I am convinced, is a beautiful reincarnation of Smita Patil)

And the tribulations, and the emotional tug of the characters is for real. Everybody watching, at some level, can connect with whats shown.

Child Marriages, Violation and Murder of the lower caste by the uppers, Utter lawlessness.... things that are difficult for a city-bred like me to imagine, are visualised and... they're not even the story. just a part of it.

I dont know if it is fair to draw comparisons, but I thought as long and hard after Rang De Basanti. But then it was also sheer entertainment. I can't call Hazaron Khwahishein Aisi, entertainment. And i am sure Pritish Nandy's Cash register vindicates me. The film wasnt a blockbuster, but i dont think it was meant to be.

I read a blogger describing it as a 'less film, more novel', and i agree. Alot has been packed into just 120 minutes.

I was at a loss of words to describe it to my roommates and, so it is here. I can say so much more about it and still not be able to say it all. those who have seen the movie will agree. And those who havent..... Are you all living in Bihar?

No comments: